Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Centering

I find that most of us are typically awakened by an alarm clock each day and after a standard routine we dash off into our world.  We may be in traffic every day or not. We May make phone calls on the way to work or not. If we are not working, we most likely have a destination. Or if you are a stay at home mom or dad, the activities surround you right where you are.  Either way, I found myself getting caught up in the action of things much like being in a sling shot and fired off into the crowd and frenzy of our world.  This process worked against me in many ways. First, I was reactive in nature and that is not a characteristics I aspired to.  Second, I didn't take any time to set my mood and center myself on the man I want to be out there in the external world I was about to enter. One instance that arose gave light to this discovery which was when I darted off to work, started making phone calls on a very big business objective and when I didn't like what I heard I reacted with furious anger.  The nano second that occurs between a situation and a reaction happens to be the most important element right after listening intently in any situation. I am dedicated to better managing this aspect of my personality and leadership.  It is my objective to listen or observe intently and then take the necessary time to address the situation - not simply react. After the dust settled, I reflected on how I just reacted and became disappointed with myself. After I intellectually fist beat myself frontier style, I realized I had set myself up to fail.  I didn't take the necessary time to center myself as I embarked upon my day. Now, I take five minutes on the way to work to get centered and review the man, the leader, the friend, the lover I want to be. I review the aspects that need special attention and in this case, "reacting" would have been addressed with a commitment to myself to NOT be so.  I would have handled this particular situation in a fashion that would have made me proud had I centered myself. 

When we go out into the world we represent EVERYTHING that we are, where we come from and what we aspire to. How we act, serve, engage and communicate with the closest people in our lives to the total strangers makes up what I refer to as our existence and consequently our legacy. How do you want to be remembered? Because EVERY interaction you have out there in the world is on the record and will serve to sum you up in the minds of others, I believe it should be handled with care and acute attention.  Every conversation IS a public speech. 

If you have goals and objectives that revolve around your character, your way of being, your leadership, your energy, etc., centering will certainly help you improve in that direction.   Ultimately, with care and nurturing, your existence in the world will be reflected as a beautiful, powerful, attractive and fulfilling one that will make you proud and others proud of you. 

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring what I've learned from this message is that once you have a clear picture of your priorities – that is values, goals, and high leverage activities – organize around them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!